Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Car repair in Indiana

Okay you can not see the new long block they put it but it is there.

We have been in Indiana for a little longer than planned. The reason is the water pump went out in our car while I was driving back to my father-in-law’s house with him in the car. It was a hot day so I drove the car to some shade so he could wait in a little more comfort on a 90 degree day. It took 2 ½ hours for the tow truck. It was a Friday so the dealer could not look at it before Monday. When they looked at it they found out that number one cylinder had no compression. So they said it needs a new motor. I asked about my warrantee. It was up at 70,000 miles I have a little over 72,000 miles. I asked it they could contact Chrysler and see if they could help out. A new rebuilt motor form Chrysler was going to be over $6k. The shop man came back and said that Chrysler would kick in $1.500. Not much but what could I do. They said the motor would be in 2 day. It took 5 and when it came in it was the wrong one. The crate had the right part number on it but it had the wrong connections. So after few more days of not getting any good information on the phone I went down and tried to rattle some cages. It must have worked because 2 days later they had the car ready for pick up.

I wend down thinking it was going to have a bill for over $5k. When I got there the bill was for $1,678. It turns out that Chrysler had agreed to replace the motor for $1,500, not kick in $1,500. The extra over the $1,500 was for a water pump and odes and ends. What a way to make a $1,678 repair bill feel small. I am very glad to have that behind us. We now have only a few things left to do around the house and then we can pack up and head back to the Northwest……

No comments: